Monday, May 11, 2009

Some favorite vacation spots.

Before becoming regent of Silvermoon, I was a ranger. I don't think it's possible to ever shake the feeling of wanderlust that was sated by my former occupation. Now I have to settle for escaping for a few hours when I get the chance. A cooped-up regent is a grumpy regent.

Here's a small list of some of my favorite places to visit when I can spend a few hours away to clear my head:

Mulgore: Perhaps the easiest vacation spot to get to. Convince Rommath to port me to Thunder Bluff, tell Cairne to grab the ingredients for his famous kodo burgers, and head over to Stonebull Lake. We invite Thrall over, but sometimes he gets a little busy. Sometimes there's a little rain, but that's when we head inside and hit the peace pipe. The weather is a little cooler than Quel'thalas, but the lush plains are beautiful.

Silverpine Forest: Tirisfal is a little dark for my tastes, but there are some spots in Silverpine that are nice when I want to go camping. It's not for the faint of heart, though. The area is better for hunting trips, if that's your idea of relaxation.

Nagrand: Thrall introduced me to his grandmother one time, and she insists that he needs to visit her more. Well, I'm not one to turn down a kind old orc lady's hospitality, and she makes the best gingerbread you've ever tasted. Most of Nagrand is lush and beautiful. If you feel like watching a show, you can hop over to the arena and see the fights. (Careful, they sometimes decide to have audience participation!) The little floating islands are also perfect for sunbathing. It's also the most interesting place to stargaze at night.

Azshara: Thrall can sometimes get out to camp in this area. It's probably the location with weather that has the closest match to Quel'thalas. However, there are some traitors that have an established camp out there. Makes for some diplomacy issues for simple vacations. But if anyone feels like dealing with them, be my guest. I can think of at least one orc who would thank you for your efforts. *cough*

Moonglade: This isn't the most ideal place for me to visit. I can always feel the Night Elves staring. They're not entirely hostile, but it makes me a bit paranoid. But as long as I stay away from Nighthaven, it's a nice place to go and relax.

Stranglethorn Vale: There are a few neat spots to visit. My favorite is an overlook by a waterfall. Travel north from Booty Bay, and look for a path on your left that's marked with a torch. You'll have to avoid some gorillas, but that's not difficult. The beach by Grom'gol and the riverside by the Nesingwary camp site are good locations to visit too. Good fishing is to be had all over the zone, and if you feel competitive, enter the fishing contest on Sunday afternoon. Stranglethorn is a bit on the humid side, and be sure to bring your sunblock. When you're done, go back to Booty Bay for some of their rum concoctions.

Feralas: Again, a good escape for a hunting trip. It's humid like Stranglethorn, but not oppressively so. Be sure to check out the Twin Colossals, but make sure you have a way to get down. There's a guy who sells parachute cloaks, but they're a little sketchy and he overcharges for them. All in all, a good place for a picnic, and the Tauren in Camp Mojache are good people.

Storm Peaks: I'm not a huge fan of the cold, if the list so far is any indication. But this is the best location for a ski trip. Mmmm... Snow bunnies....

Sholazar Basin: Fishing at River's heart is the best. The water is surprisingly warm for Northrend if you care to go swimming. Just watch out for the threshers.

Grizzly Hills: Again, decent hunting grounds. This is the kind of place where I like to get a small group together and play paintball. The only downside is that the terrain can be tricky in places. Many trips had to be called off due to someone tripping and getting a sprained ankle shortly after starting out.

There are a few other places, and this is just a short list. But all of this said, Quel'thalas is still home, and I couldn't imagine anywhere more beautiful.

Deeper musings to follow.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoy visiting Mulgore! As said before, Horde territory is your territory, and anywhere where you will find a tauren will always be a home away from home. =)
    Besides, you DO need to get out more. ^_~
    ...Just...uh..don't ask me to come skiing with you. We weren't meant to fly downhill on two small flat sticks. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nagrand and Stranglethorn Vale are two of my absolute favorite vacation spots. ♥ I spent many a week in Nagrand offering my services to the Mag'har, so I grew to love it like a second home. :3

    And STV is just gorgeous.

    @Cadistra I'm sure you'll do just fine on the bunny slopes! Plus I can always send a bubble your way if you hit any trouble. You should at least try it once! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are planning to go on vacation...I would like you to add to your list Property Sunshine Coast as your next stop..They have all the things and relaxation areas that you can find...so unique and diverse you will never want to leave..
    Hope you can visit..

    ReplyDelete