Saturday, May 2, 2009

Children's Week

Thrall and I decided that a state outing would be a good way to get some vacation time and get the kids together for a little well-deserved fun. I spent a good portion of yesterday making arrangements, and this morning overseeing the clearing of the mana beasts from the path to the beach. Right now I'm just awaiting the Warchief and his charges to arrive for a day of food, fun, and games.

While they gave me a headache yesterday from running all through the Sunfury Spire after finding a stash of leftover Noblegarden candy, the kids have been pretty endearing. Maybe it's my paternal instincts kicking in, but I want to do more for them. I don't have kids of my own, and due to my line of work, all relationships have been stopping at flirtation. (Believe it or not!) This is the perfect opportunity to reach out where I normally can't.

Beyond giving some of the kids a fun day at the beach, there's also the Child's Play Charity Auction from The Hunting Lodge. I know my readership is low right now, but I figure the more mentions the better. I'm considering bidding on the CoreHound shirt from BigRedkitty. I could really use some guard dogs for Silvermoon. And then there's the WoW, Eh? print by the lovely Cadistra. If I had kids, it would go on their bedroom wall.

There have been reports of Horde and Alliance getting along in some of the Battlegrounds, working together in front of the kids to get achievements, and then letting each other part ways without a bloody slaughter. Some of my people reported that they were in Alterac Valley giving the kids lessons on taking turns, sharing, and being polite at the Stonehearth Bunker. People without kids yelled at them (in language not appropriate for the kids' ears) about capturing the tower and killing the Alliance. But kids are smart...I think they saw that being a warrior is not just about killing and death. It's about doing what it takes to get the job done.

That's the point of this whole day: to give the kids a chance to get together, learn to get along, honor, and respect each other despite their differences.

Word has it that Thrall's beginning the journey here. Rommath has been keeping the kids we have here occupied with stories while Halduron and I have been making arrangements. I think even Lady Liadrin is going to come down for a bit. Perhaps we'll have some friendly duels/demonstrations for the kids, all ending with "dogpile on the big green orc!"

1 comment:

  1. While I myself have very little experience with children, I am honored to help out in any way I can with Children's Week. They've already lost so much; I think the least we can do as responsible adults is show them what is worth fighting for.
    Also, I'm happy to help the charity auction. o^_^o
    I'll arrive in Silvermoon later on today...I have some chores to do back on Elder Rise. I'll bring [Ice Cold Milk] and some [Mulgore Spice Bread] for the children. Calcium makes strong bones!

    ReplyDelete